Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus N426B3_4I - Bioenergetics of Cells and Organisms (FCFT - WS 2020/2021)
|University:||Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology|
|Course unit title:||Bioenergetics of Cells and Organisms|
|Course unit code:||N426B3_4I|
|Mode of completion and Number of ECTS credits:||Exam (5 credits)|
|Name of lecturer:||doc. Ing. Martin Šimkovič, PhD. (person responsible for course) - slovak, english|
|Learning outcomes of the course unit:|
|Students obtain knowledge about biochemical processes that cells use for energy conversion and synthesis ATP, needed to maintain cellular functions. They understand differences in energy metabolism of cells (animals, plants, microorganisms), which differ in energy source, path of carbon assimilation, and terminal electron acceptor.|
|Prerequisites and co-requisites:||none|
|- Thermodynamic aspects of biological processes.
- Catabolic pathways and synthesis of reduced equivalents in chemotrophs
- Mitochondria and their functions in energetic metabolism. Respiration chain.
- Coupling of proton-motive force and ATP synthesis. Mitchell's chemiosmotic theory of oxidative phosphorylation.
- Light as the source of energy. Phototrophs. Conversion of light energy to chemical energy.
- Photosystems, electron transport and ATP synthesis during photosynthesis.
- Cyclic and noncyclic phosphorylation. Anoxygenic photosynthesis. Dark phase of photosynthesis.
- Neurons, action potential and neurotransmission.
- Mechanisms and energetics of solute transport across membranes.
- Contractility and motility of biological systems.
- Bacteria and Archaea, properties of their energy metabolism depending on energy source, path of carbon assimilation, and terminal electron acceptor.
- Unique energy metabolic pathways serve for ATP formation and energy transformation in microorganisms.
- Hydrogenases; their catalytic activity, structure and function. Task of hydrogenases in bioenergetics of microorganisms.
|Recommended or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods:||The course in Bioenergetics of Cells and Organisms comprises of two hours of lectures and two hours of seminars per week.|
|Assesment methods and criteria:||exam, written examination|
|Language of instruction:||Slovak, English|
|Work placement(s):||There is no compulsory work placement in the course unit.|
Last modification made by Ing. Tomáš Molnár on 05/20/2019.