Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus N433S0_4I - Tutorial in English (FCFT - SS 2018/2019)
|University:||Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology|
|Course unit title:||Tutorial in English|
|Course unit code:||N433S0_4I|
|Mode of completion and Number of ECTS credits:||Fulfillment of requirements (1 credit)|
|Name of lecturer:||Ing. Marek Lelovský (examiner, instructor, person responsible for course) - slovak, english|
|Learning outcomes of the course unit:|
|A student obtains the skill of reading with comprehension and writing of scientific papers in English, mainly for the purpose of the diploma thesis (and follow-up specialist publications, should they occur) with the focus on the correct terminology translation and the ways of citations.|
|Prerequisites and co-requisites:||none|
|1. Abstract analysis, reading with comprehension, keyword recognition.
2. Reading of scientific articles with comprehension, focusing on typical grammatical structures in scientific style (passive voice, depersonalization, nominalization etc.).
3. Translation focused on scientific terminology from and into English. Discussion.
4. Typical language structures and argumentation expressions in scientific style (comparison, contrast, supporting arguments, presentation of conclusions on the basis of scientific results).
5. Collocations in academic language, verbalization of evidence, data, statistics, graphs and diagrams.
6. Practice of expressing one´s opinion in both written and oral form. Proper translation of short scientific articles into Slovak.
7. Reading of articles with a follow-up verbal presentation of key information. Summary practice.
8. Abstract writing. Discussion.
9. Presentation of one´s abstract concerning their own bachelor or diploma thesis.
10. Final test consisting of abstract reading with comprehension, answering questions, translation of scientific sentences.
|Recommended or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods:||seminars, dealing with scientific papers in English|
|Assesment methods and criteria:||Written test|
|Language of instruction:||Slovak, English|
|Work placement(s):||There is no compulsory work placement in the course unit.|
Last modification made by Ing. Tomáš Molnár on 05/07/2018.