Informačný list ECTS Sylabus
Sylabus predmetu NAM201_6B - Materials Science II (MTF - SS 2019/2020)
|University:||Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Materials Science and Technology in Trnava|
|Course unit title:||Materials Science II|
|Course unit code:||NAM201_6B|
|Mode of completion and Number of ECTS credits:||Exam (5 credits)|
|Name of lecturer:||doc. Ing. Mária Hudáková, PhD. (instructor)|
prof. Ing. Peter Jurči, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer, person responsible for course) - slovak, english
Ing. Jana Ptačinová, PhD. (instructor)
|Learning outcomes of the course unit:|
|The aim of the course is that the students will gain basic information on metallic and non-metallic materials and on the heat treatment of metallic materials and allyos. Also, the sudents will gain basic knowledge on the degradation mechanisms of materials, e.g. corrosion, wear, creep, brittle fracture and fatigue.|
|Prerequisites and co-requisites:||none|
|Theory of phase transformations in heat treatment of steels. Pearlitic, bainitic and martensitic transformation. Austenitizing diagrams, diagrams of isothermal (IRA) and continuous cooling transformations diagrams (CCT).
Hardening and tempering of steels. Hardening procedures. Quenching media. Theory of phase transformations in tempering. Combined heat treatment schedules. Temper embrittlement.
Thermo-chemical treatment. Case hardening, nitriding and combined processes. Industrial use of thermo-chemical treatment of steels.
Steels for welded structures, high strength and wear resistant steels. Cast iron.
Non-ferrous alloys. Wrought and cast copper- and aluminium alloys. Titanium and its alloys. Cobalt, nickel and their alloys.
Bearing materials, solders.
Wear of the materials, wear resistant materials.
Corrosion, protection of materials against corrosion. Corrosion resistant steels.
Fatigue of materials, fatigue testing.
Creep. Hot - corrosion resistant and creep resistant materials.
Tool materials. Carbon steels, alloyed steels, ledeburitic steels. High speed steels. Cemented carbides. Ceramics.
Powder metallurgy made materials.
Electron microscopy. X-ray diffraction.
Plastics and composites. Ceramics.
Formation of layers on metallic materials - technology and use.
Basic principles of the material choice for particular use.
|Recommended or required reading:|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods:||The course is divided into the lectures and practicals, with an extent of 2/2. The lectures gives the students basic theoretical information, which is extended on the practicals.|
|Assesment methods and criteria:||A 100% active participation on the practicals is strongly required to pass the course successfully. The participation on lectures is highly recommended. The evaluation of practicals makes of 30% of the aggregate evaluation of the course. Remaining 70% is available to gain through passing an examination test.|
|Language of instruction:||Slovak, English|
|Work placement(s):||There is no compulsory work placement in the course unit.|
Last modification made by Ing. Erika Kuracinová on 12/20/2018.