Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus PAOS06_6B - Computer Architecture and Operating Systems (MTF - SS 2013/2014)
|University:||Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Materials Science and Technology in Trnava|
|Course unit code:||PAOS06_6B|
|Course unit title:||Computer Architecture and Operating Systems|
|Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:|
|Recommended semester/trimester:||Applied Informatics and Automation in Industry - bachelor (semi-compulsory), 6. semester|
Applied Informatics and Automation in Industry - bachelor (semi-compulsory), 6. semester
|Level of study:||-- item not defined --|
|Prerequisites for registration:||none|
|creating of assignments|
|Learning outcomes of the course unit:|
|Acquiring of knowledge about computer architecture. Recognizing of the basic computer equipment and acquire knowledge on mutual cooperation between the different components. Learning of the principles of synchronization and communication processes. Obtaining of knowledge of administration, configuration and use of standard operating systems based on Windows and Unix. Learning of programming and creating of new components and services used in operating systems and implementation of software systems administration processes.|
|1. Introduction to computer architecture. Production technology of digital circuits. Transistors, transistor as a switch.
2. Combinational and sequential circuits, logic functions, flip-flop circuits.
3. General-purpose computer, bus structure, the physical arrangement of buses, bus parameters. Block diagram of the processor.
4. System of the interruptions, algorithm of the interruptions. Description of the system bus.
5. Input and output devices, functions. Parallel port.
6. Serial port, interfaces. Direct Memory Access.
7. Computer memory, types of memory, cache. Optical and magnetic storage media, methods of writing and reading. PC video system, types and parameters.
8. Evolution of operating systems, classification, basic concepts. Structure of OS, MS DOS basic structure, the structure of a network OS. BIOS configuration and BIOS features.
9. Key parts of Windows and Unix OS. Registry, registry structure, system registry database.
10. Administration of the processes, context and process descriptor. Process status, algorithms of the process scheduling, synchronization of the planning process.
11. Critical section, the implementation of critical section, semaphore, POST and WAIT mechanism. Multithreading and multitasking.
12. Methods of memory allocation, paging, segmenting. File system, logical file organization, access rights.
13. Management of distributed resources, the concept of RPC procedures.
|Recommended or required reading:|
|Language of instruction:||-- item not defined --|
|Assessed students in total: 504|
|Name of lecturer(s):||Ing. Igor Halenár, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer) - slovak|
Dr.h.c. prof. Dr. Ing. Oliver Moravčík (person responsible for course) - slovak
|Last modification:||9. 6. 2017|
|Supervisor:||Dr.h.c. prof. Dr. Ing. Oliver Moravčík and programme supervisor|
Last modification made by Ing. Andrea Bujdáková on 06/09/2017.