Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus B1-HYD - Hydrology (FCE - WS 2018/2019)
|University:||Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Civil Engineering|
|Course unit code:||B1-HYD|
|Course unit title:||Hydrology|
|Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:|
|Recommended semester/trimester:||Hydraulic Engineering and Water Resources Management - bachelor (compulsory), 3. semester|
Landscaping and Landscape Planning - bachelor (compulsory), 3. semester
Structural and Transportation Engineering - bachelor (semi-compulsory), 3. semester
|Level of study:||1.|
|Prerequisites for registration:||none|
|monitoring written assignments and ongoing tests|
|Learning outcomes of the course unit:|
|Students will obtain basic knowledge of the areas of meteorology, climatology and hydrology including movement of air masses, atmosphere-land surface interactions, climate variability, the hydrological cycle, rainfall and runoff processes, precipitation, water level and discharge measurements, and data processing. The main emphasis is placed on runoff generation in catchments, estimating design discharges and rainfall -runoff modeling.|
|The global hydrological cycle, meteorological factors, movement of air masses, atmosphere-land surface interactions, the climatic system of the Earth. Watershed processes.
• Precipitation. Measurements and data processing. Mean area precipitation. Temporal and spatial variability of precipitation. Storms. IDF curves.
• River networks. River morphology and morphometry. Water levels. Discharges. Measurements of water levels and discharges. Discharge rating curves. Mean annual, monthly and daily discharges. Runoff regimes and variability. Flow duration curves.
• Runoff regime classification schemes. Estimation of hydrological variables in ungauged watersheds.
• Floods. Data selection and processing. Flood frequency analysis. Design discharges. Return periods. Design discharges in ungauged watersheds. Regional flood frequency analysis. Flood hydrograph synthesis.
• Hydrological data and methods for integrated watershed management and environmental engineering.
|Recommended or required reading:|
|Language of instruction:||slovak or english|
|Assessed students in total: 265|
|Name of lecturer(s):||Ing. Adam Brziak (instructor) - slovak |
prof. Ing. Silvia Kohnová, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer, tutor) - slovak, english
Ing. Martin Kubáň (instructor) - slovak
Ing. Viera Rattayová (instructor) - slovak
prof. Ing. Ján Szolgay, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer, person responsible for course, tutor) - slovak, english
Ing. Peter Valent, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer, tutor) - slovak, english
|Last modification:||20. 9. 2017|
|Supervisor:||prof. Ing. Ján Szolgay, PhD. and programme supervisor|
Last modification made by Ing. Peter Korčák on 09/20/2017.