Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus B1-MZE - Soil Mechanics (FCE - WS 2018/2019)
|University:||Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Civil Engineering|
|Course unit code:||B1-MZE|
|Course unit title:||Soil Mechanics|
|Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:|
|Recommended semester/trimester:||Hydraulic Engineering and Water Resources Management - bachelor (compulsory), 3. semester|
Landscaping and Landscape Planning - bachelor (compulsory), 3. semester
Structural and Transportation Engineering - bachelor (compulsory), 3. semester
|Level of study:||1.|
|Prerequisites for registration:||none|
|processing award of the construction instruction|
processing award of the laboratory exercise
|Learning outcomes of the course unit:|
|Basics of the interaction of building works with the base soil. Purpose and working methods of soil mechanics. Summary of soil properties. Water movement in soil. Tension in the subsoil. Settlement of structures. Consolidation of soil. Shear strength of soil. The state of equilibrium in soils. Stability of slopes. Pressure on soil structures. Stability of foundations of buildings. Soil as a building material.|
|- Physical properties and descriptive: mineralogical composition, apparent density, texture.
- Porosity, moisture, bulk gravity limit consistency. Characteristics of physical condition.
- Water in the soil. Laplace equation. Darcyho Act. Hydrodynamic mesh. Boundary conditions.
- Dupuit simplification; the inflow into the grooves and wells. Strain in the subsoil. Geostatics pressure. The principle of effective stress.
- Strain in the subsoil planar and spatial tasks. Effect of rigid subsoil, the depth of formation and unhomogenity.
- Contact stress. Interfering tasks. Settlement in a flexible subsoil.
- Indirect methods calculation of settlement. Calculation according to STN 73 1001 (Slovak standard). Consolidation of the soil.
- Shear strength of soil: bulk and cohesive soil. Stability tasks. The stability of slopes.
- Breaking the balance in soil: theory of infringement. Cut-off balance subsoil: Rankin theory.
- Pressures on soil structure. Coulomb method. Active and passive natural pressure. Methods of calculation.
- Pressures on soil structure: a compound curved sliding surfaces. Pressures on the sheeting. Anchoring.
- Carrying capacity of bases. Basic design procedures for shallow and deep foundations.
|Recommended or required reading:|
|Language of instruction:||slovak or english|
|Assessed students in total: 304|
|Name of lecturer(s):||Ing. Zuzana Galliková, PhD. (examiner, instructor) - slovak, english |
doc. Ing. Ľuboš Hruštinec, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer) - slovak, english
doc. Ing. Ivan Slávik, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer, person responsible for course) - slovak, english
|Last modification:||20. 9. 2017|
|Supervisor:||doc. Ing. Ivan Slávik, PhD. and programme supervisor|
Last modification made by Ing. Peter Korčák on 09/20/2017.