Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus AJD107_6D - English for PhD Students I (MTF - 2019/2020 - post-graduate studies)
|University:||Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Materials Science and Technology in Trnava|
|Course unit code:||AJD107_6D|
|Course unit title:||English for PhD Students I|
|Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:|
|Recommended semester/trimester:||Advanced Materials and Material Design - doctoral (compulsory), 2. year|
Industrial Management - doctoral (compulsory), 2. year
Integrated Safety - doctoral (compulsory), 2. year
Mechanical Engineering Technologies and Materials - doctoral (compulsory), 2. year
Personnel Policy in Industrial Plant - doctoral (compulsory), 2. year
Process Automation and Informatization - doctoral (compulsory), 2. year
Production Devices and Systems - doctoral (compulsory), 2. year
|Level of study:||3.|
|Prerequisites for registration:||none|
|Within the semester the PhD candidate elaborates and submits his/her personal portfolio comprising a CV in Europass format, cover letter; s/he reads 80-100 pages of professional text in his/her field in target language, elaborates a glossary to the text processed, translates 5 pages of a selected text into Slovak language as the basis for his/her scientific paperand translates a seleted text into English language. The student is assessed according to the STU Code of Studies.|
|Learning outcomes of the course unit:|
|The PhD graduates´ profile includes also their language competence. They are requiredto communicate professionally in their scientific field as well as they are required to have an adequate general language competence as they will operate in multicultural environment, cooperate with international research institutions and present the results of their own research at domestic and international conferences.|
|Introduction to research databases access.
2. Study at STU (forms, structure, mission,...).
3. Slovak University of Technology (history, study system, terminology).
4. Faculty of Materials Science and Technology (study programmes, forms of study, institutes, departments).
5. Negotiations. Ethics and etiquetteo f professional environment.
6. Reading a scientific text (skimming, scanning).
7. Reading a scientific text (reading for gist, note taking).
8. Reading comprehension skills:
- word/text analysisi - estimation, translation,
- note taking (linear, diagrams, mind maps),
- utilization of abbreviations, symbols.
9. Strategy of translating a scientific text. Working with dictionaries.
- translating a scientific text using dictionaries.
10. Elaborating a structured CV - Europass.
- graphical processing of information.
11. Cover letter (applying for job, scholarship, grant).
12. Preparation for a job interview.
13. Outputs. Evaluation.
|Recommended or required reading:|
|Language of instruction:||slovak or english|
|Assessed students in total: 104|
|Name of lecturer(s):||Mgr. Gabriela Chmelíková, PhD. (person responsible for course)|
PhDr. Emília Mironovová (examiner, instructor) - slovak, english
|Last modification:||19. 12. 2018|
|Supervisor:||Mgr. Gabriela Chmelíková, PhD. and programme supervisor|
Last modification made by Ing. Erika Kuracinová on 12/19/2018.