Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus N437K0_4I - Composite Materials (FCFT - WS 2019/2020)
|University:||Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology|
|Course unit code:||N437K0_4I|
|Course unit title:||Composite Materials|
|Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:|
|Recommended semester/trimester:||Natural and Synthetic Polymers - master (semi-compulsory), 3. semester|
|Level of study:||2.|
|Prerequisites for registration:||none|
|Participation at seminars, preparation of project- pre-examination degree. |
Before the exam students will prepare project aimed on the influence of selected types of fillers on polymer composite properties.
|Learning outcomes of the course unit:|
|Student receives the knowledge about fibre and particulate polymer composites and nanocomposites. He knows to examine and evaluate influence of filler physical and chemical properties on final end use properties. He has knowledge about types of polymer matrix used for composites. He is able to evaluate the role of interphase and synergistic effect. He has knowledge’s about processing, modifications and functionalization of fibres and particulate composites and nanocomposites. He is informed about polymer composites recycling. He knows to propose type of fillers and polymer matrix to achieve required application properties. He is informed about the newest achievements and developments in polymer composites.|
|1. Introduction to polymer composite materials (PCM). The role of matrix, fillers and interphase in PCM.
2. Matrices used in PCM (thermosets, thermoplastic, constructive). Fillers for PCM (long fibre, short fibres, particulate fillers, nanofillers).
3. Production and treatment of glass, carbon, polyethylene, aramide and natural fibres for PCM.
4. Influence of fibre and polymer matrix type on properties of PCM. The effect of fibre geometry and orientation, critical fibre length. Anisotropy of fibre PCM properties.
5. Processing of fibre PCM with thermoset and thermoplastic polymer matrix.
6. Application of fibre PCM in industry, automotive and aviation.
7. Characterisation of particulate polymer composites. Inorganic and organic fillers used for particulate PCM - properties, treatment.
8. Physical and chemical modification of particulate PCM. Coupling agents.
9. Preparation, processing and applications of particulate PCM.
10. Polymer nanocomposites. Factors influencing properties, type of nanofillers and matrix.
11. Layered silicates used for polymer nanocomposites - structure, properties and modification. Polymer nanocomposites based on layered silicates.
12. Polymer nanocomposites based on carbon nanotubes and grapheme.
13. Application of polymer nanocomposites based on thermoset, thermoplastic and biodegradable polymer matrix.
|Recommended or required reading:|
|Language of instruction:||slovak or english|
|Assessed students in total: 90|
|Name of lecturer(s):||doc. Ing. Viera Khunová, PhD. (person responsible for course) - slovak, english|
|Last modification:||29. 1. 2019|
|Supervisor:||doc. Ing. Viera Khunová, PhD. and programme supervisor|
Last modification made by Ing. Tomáš Molnár on 01/29/2019.