Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus N426G0_4B - Génová terapia a biologické liečivá (FCFT - SS 2019/2020)
Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava
|Faculty:||Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology|
|Course unit code:|
|Course unit title:||Génová terapia a biologické liečivá|
Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:
|-- item not defined --|
|Level of study:||1.|
Prerequisites for registration:
Final written/oral exam.
Preparation of a seminar from an assigned journal scientific work published in English.
Learning outcomes of the course unit:
The student will gain basic knowledge about the possibilities of using modern discoveries of biological sciences in diagnostics, prevention and therapy in human medicine. The course will include basic data on the human genome, the relationship of specific polymorphisms to the origin and development of pathological processes, as well as the participation of pathologically transformed cells in the etiopathogenesis of diseases. Attention will also be paid to the possibility of targeted chemotherapy using bioaffinity interactions, nanomaterials, including magnetic ones, to concentrate drugs at the site of action. Theoretical knowledge will be used to understand the possibility of their use in therapeutic procedures of gene, cell or targeted therapy directly at the site of action.
1. Human genome, types of chromosomes, mitochondrial genome, alleles as the basis of hereditary trait, dominance and recessivity in heredity.
2. Gene, chromosomal and genomic mutations and examples of diseases caused by them.
3. Cell differentiation, stem and progenitor cells, the concept of totipotency, pluripotency, multipotence and unipotence of cells in relation to differentiation.
4. Bioaffinity recognition during interactions of biomolecules in living systems, enzyme:substrate/effector interactions; antigen:antibody interaction; and hormone: receptor interaction.
5. Possibilities of drugs´targeting in the body to the site of their action using physical, chemical and biological procedures.
6. Antibodies, their humanization, and examples of immuno-targeted therapy of diseases.
7. Possibilities of mutated gene repair and examples of gene therapy of diseases.
8. Possibilities of using stem cells in the treatment of various diseases and post-traumatic conditions.
Recommended or required reading:
|Language of instruction:|
slovak and english
|Assessed students in total: 0|
Name of lecturer(s):
|prof. Ing. Albert Breier, DrSc. (examiner, lecturer, person responsible for course) - slovak, english |
Mgr. Lucia Messingerová, PhD. (examiner, lecturer) - slovak, english
14. 5. 2020
|Supervisor:||prof. Ing. Albert Breier, DrSc. and programme supervisor|
Last modification made by Samuel Hraško on 05/14/2020.