Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus B1-SM - Building Materials (FCE - WS 2019/2020)
|University:||Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Civil Engineering|
|Course unit code:||B1-SM|
|Course unit title:||Building Materials|
|Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:|
|Recommended semester/trimester:||Building Construction and Architecture - bachelor (compulsory), 5. semester|
Hydraulic Engineering and Water Resources Management - bachelor (compulsory), 1. semester
Landscaping and Landscape Planning - bachelor (compulsory), 1. semester
Structural and Transportation Engineering - bachelor (compulsory), 1. semester
|Level of study:||1.|
|Prerequisites for registration:||none|
|The laboratory protocols are graded by a maximum of 10 points. The minimum threshold for passing is 5 points. After receiving a total of 10 points, 2 points from that amount will be added to the final test. If you receive 9 points, 1 point will be added to the final test. |
The final test – in order to receive A you need to get 26-25 points, B is 24 – 23 points, C is 22 – 21 points, D is 20 – 1 points and finally is you score between 18 – 17 points you’ll get E.
|Learning outcomes of the course unit:|
|Students obtain encyclopaedical knowledge in the wide field that covers a whole range of building materials. The knowledge includes mainly all information on both the physical and chemical properties of building materials, processes of their manufacture, types of existing products and their appropriate use, and also information on the test methods and skills for determining properties of building materials. Students, after completion of this course are expected to obtain basic orientation and experience in the wide range of building materials used in civil engineering which are necessary for a BSc. graduate in his future professional career.|
|- Characteristics of building materials. Basic physical and chemical properties of building materials.
- Basic raw materials used in industry of building materials. Building stone and aggregate, their properties and use. Rock and stone products and their use.
- Ceramic building materials (ceramic products, their use and testing properties). Glass: manufacture of glass; types and application of glass products in building industry.
- Binders. Characteristics and classification of binders. Manufacture and use of inorganic binders; testing properties of binders.
- Concrete. Characteristics and classification of concrete types. Constituents of concrete; properties of fresh and hardened concrete; testing properties of fresh and hardened concrete.
- Products from ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Products from timber and polymers for building industry.
- Insulating materials. Types and characteristics of insulations. Properties and use of materials for thermal insulation and hydroinsulation.
|Recommended or required reading:|
|Language of instruction:||slovak or english|
|Assessed students in total: 1916|
|Name of lecturer(s):||Ing. Diana Bladová (instructor)|
Ing. Valéria Gregorová, PhD. (instructor) - slovak, english
Ing. Katarína Eva Hellová (instructor)
Ing. Miriam Ledererová, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer) - slovak
Ing. Alena Struhárová, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer) - slovak
Ing. Zuzana Štefunková, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer) - slovak
prof. Ing. Stanislav Unčík, PhD. (person responsible for course)
|Last modification:||28. 2. 2019|
|Supervisor:||prof. Ing. Stanislav Unčík, PhD. and programme supervisor|
Last modification made by Ing. Peter Korčák on 02/28/2019.