Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus 2_VPR_A - Urban Public Space (FAD - SS 2019/2020)
|University:||Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava|
|Faculty of Architecture and Design|
|Course unit code:||2_VPR_A|
|Course unit title:||Urban Public Space|
Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:
|Recommended semester/trimester:||Architecture - master (optional), 2. semester|
Architecture (study in English) - master (optional), 2. semester
Urban Design - master (optional), 2. semester
|Level of study:|
Prerequisites for registration:
Practical part (exercises) : student is processing assignment during the semester, quality of assessment process output constitutes the 50% of the total points of a course classification.
Student completes the theoretical part in the form of an oral exam, which is aimed at lecture's topics and connected on assignments in exercises.
Learning outcomes of the course unit:
|Students will acquire the latest knowledge in the issue of creation, conceptual aspects of design, engineering, planning
and implementation of urban public place
Lectures are focused on conceptual, typological and implementation issues of designing the exterior public space. Attention is paid to individual components surface, mobiliary, greenery, art works, special issues security and accessibility and a socialpsychological aspects of public space.
1. The typology an structure of urban public space. Functional, operational, aesthetic, socialpsychological requirements for urban space
2. Introduction to the course. Introduction to the issue, definition of terms. A brief overview of the development issues. Inclusion of public space to the profession of architect
3. The urbanconceptual aspects of creation urban place. The hierarchical differentiation of urban public place in the city organism. Relationship of urban city concept, city plan and zoning plan in the formation of public space
4. Street furniture. Elements and sets of street furniture, original or catalog product, modern or historical,contemporary trends in design and development of street furniture
5. Street furniture. Basic of typological, structure, design and implementation requirements
6. Surfaces. Architecture of surfaces, conceptual issues in the creation of surfaces, design possibilities,scales, structure and texture, slope, drainage concept
7. Surfaces. Materials and their properties, basic types of structures
8. Greenery in urban place. The concept of green vegetation, typology in public space, types and
characteristics, essential requirements for the design, planting and maintenance
9. Art works in public space. Typology of art works (sculptures, signs, logo, visual elements in the pavement, elements of a partial reconstruction as art work, fountains
10. Illumination in public space. Fine considerations, scenario, lighting requirements to illuminate the space,types of lighting
11. Special issues relevant to public space. Socialpsychological aspects of the formation of public space,security, wheelchair accessibility requirements, standards, examples
12. Implementation issues. Concept, construction plan, top and bottom construction, implementation, supervision, author's changes during implementation, use of space
Exercises: Assignment relating to the processing of selected problem issues of public space (greenery,artwork, lighting, surfaces ...) or it is relating to analyze a specific public space in the Slovak headquarters and its comparison with a similar solution abroad.
Recommended or required reading:
Language of instruction:
slovak or english
|Assessed students in total: 67|
Name of lecturer(s):
|Last modification:||30. 4. 2019|
prof. Ing. arch. Bohumil Kováč, PhD. and programme supervisor
Last modification made by Róbert Tichý on 04/30/2019.