Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus 1_DED1_D - History of design I (FA - SS 2019/2020)
|University:||Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Architecture|
|Course unit code:||1_DED1_D|
|Course unit title:||History of design I|
|Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:|
|Recommended semester/trimester:||Design - bachelor (compulsory), 4. semester|
|Level of study:||1.|
|Prerequisites for registration:||none|
Assessment: grade A required 92-100 points; grade B: 83-91 points; grade C: 74-82 points; grade D: 65-73 points; grade E 56-64 points; grade FX 0-55 points.
|Learning outcomes of the course unit:|
|The aim of the module is to deepen the student’s understanding of the design process as studied by the discipline of cultural history. Special attention will be paid to understanding the multiplicity of elements defining the conceptual basis of design. Students will develop a capacity to identify and understand factors contributing to innovation and new trends in design.|
1. Design theory – the meaning of design and its models. Conceptual frameworks for the study of design.
2. Crafts in Antiquity, Middle Ages and the Early Modern Period.
3. Anonymous and early industrial design; industrial objects and new design techniques
4. Excursion at the transport museum in Bratislava
5. Design as a profession; rational functionality of mechanised production
6. Arts and crafts artefacts and curatorship. Design in the context of museums and galleries.
7. Industrial expansion and historicism; world expositions – milestones of industrial development
8. Thonet: from workshop to factory
9. Design during the Baroque period; Baroque design
10. The legacy of the reform movement of applied arts; social impacts of applied arts
11. Towards the 20th century – the forms of Art Nouveau, Gesamtkunstwerk, universality of order; the seeking of a national style.
12. Women in design; the inter-war and contemporary periods
13. Design in the automobile industry; history and the present
|Recommended or required reading:|
|Language of instruction:||slovak|
|Assessed students in total: 154|
|Name of lecturer(s):||Mgr. art. Martin Baláž, ArtD. (lecturer) - slovak|
doc. PhDr. Jarmila Bencová, PhD. (examiner, lecturer) - slovak
Mgr. Danica Šoltésová, PhD. (examiner, lecturer, person responsible for course) - slovak
|Last modification:||30. 4. 2019|
|Supervisor:||Mgr. Danica Šoltésová, PhD. and programme supervisor|
Last modification made by Róbert Tichý on 04/30/2019.