Oct 1, 2020   9:38 p.m. Arnold
Academic information system

Course syllabus I-AKOD - Code Analysis (FEEIT - WS 2019/2020)


     Information sheet          ECTS          Syllabus          


     Slovak          English          


University:
Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava
Faculty:
Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
Course unit code: I-AKOD
Course unit title: Code Analysis
Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:
lecture
2 hours weekly (on-site method)
seminar2 hours weekly (on-site method)

 
Credits allocated:
6
 
Recommended semester/trimester:
Applied Informatics - master (optional), 3. semester
Level of study:
2.
Prerequisites for registration:
passed Introduction to computer security (I-UPB)
 
Assesment methods:
Home assignments and their defense make up 40% of the course evaluation. The remaining 60% of the assessment is written and / or oral exam.
 
Learning outcomes of the course unit:
Students will gain an overview of machine code analysis techniques and their applications in reverse engineering, and in program debugging. Students will acquire practical skills necessary to recognize basic exploitation techniques and vulnerabilities in applications.
 
Course contents:
Assembler: computer architecture, CPU, basic machine instructions.
Assembler: arithmetic and logic instructions, program constructions.
Assembler: jump instructions, conditional jumps, cycles, function calls.
Assembler: work with FLAGS register, strings, bit shifts.
Basic principles and tools of reverse engineering.
Portable Executable format, Windows API.
Disassembling, debugging, basic procedures.
Disassembling protection.
Anti-debugging tricks.
Exploitation techniques.
Current exploitation techniques.
Advanced exploitation techniques.
 
Recommended or required reading:
Basic:
SIKORSKI, M. -- HONIG, A. Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software. San Francisco: No Starch Press, 2012. 800 p. ISBN 1-59327-290-1.

Recommended:
Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, 2nd Edition by Jon Erickson ISBN 978¬1593271442 The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes, 2nd Edition by Chris Anley et al ISBN 978¬0470080238
Michael Ligh. Malware Analyst's Cookbook and DVD: Tools and Techniques for Fighting Malicious Code. 1.ed, Wiley, 2010. ISBN: 978-0470613030.
YURICHEV, D.: Reverse ingineering for beginners. (online: http://beginners.re/RE_for_beginners-en.pdf)

 
Language of instruction: slovak or english
 
Notes:
 
Courses evaluation:
Assessed students in total: 1

A
B
C
D
E
FX
100,0 %
0 %
0 %
0 %0 %0 %
Name of lecturer(s):
Ing. Štefan Balogh, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer, tutor)
prof. Ing. Pavol Zajac, PhD. (person responsible for course)
 
Last modification:
24. 2. 2020
Supervisor:
prof. Ing. Pavol Zajac, PhD. and programme supervisor


Last modification made by RNDr. Marian Puškár on 02/24/2020.

Type of output: