Aug 21, 2019   5:46 p.m. Jana
Academic information system

Course syllabus I-UPB - Introduction to computer security (FEEIT - WS 2019/2020)


     Information sheet          ECTS          Syllabus          


     Slovak          English          


University: Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava
Faculty: Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
Course unit code: I-UPB
Course unit title: Introduction to computer security
Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:
lecture2 hours weekly (on-site method)
seminar2 hours weekly (on-site method)

 
Credits allocated: 6
 
Recommended semester/trimester: Applied Informatics - master (compulsory), 1. semester
Level of study: 2.
Prerequisites for registration: none
 
Assesment methods:
During the semester, students will work on home assignments. Homework assignments and their defense is 40% of the evaluation of the subject. The remaining 60% consists of written and/or oral examination.

Grades are allocated according to current FEI rating scale, after attaining the criteria published at the beginning of the semester.
 
Learning outcomes of the course unit:
Student understands basic practical information security problems, and is able to address them. The course covers the main topics that every programmer and software developer should know about IT security.
 
Course contents:
1 Introduction: Objectives and Principles of Information Security
2 Principles of secure design of software applications
3 Problems of Security: Malware, spam, social engineering, ...
4 Buffer overflows
5 Client state manipulation
6 SQL injection
7 Password Security
8 Cross-domain security
9 Symmetric cryptography and its practical use
10 Asymmetric cryptography and its practical use
11 Key management and key agreement protocols
12 Message authentication and digital signatures
 
Recommended or required reading:
Basic:
DASWANI, N. -- KERN, C. -- KESAVAN, A. Foundations of Security: What Every Programmer Needs to Know. Berkeley : Apress, 2007. 290 p.
FERGUSON, N. -- SCHNEIER, B. -- KOHNO, T. Cryptography engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications. Indianapolis : Wiley Publishing, Inc., 2010. 353 p. ISBN 978-0-470-47424-2.

 
Language of instruction: slovak or english
 
Notes:
 
Courses evaluation:
Assessed students in total: 477

ABCDEFX
7,8 %14,0 %28,5 %28,3 %18,4 %3,0 %
Name of lecturer(s): Ing. Štefan Balogh, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer, tutor) - slovak, english
Ing. Peter Špaček (examiner, instructor)
prof. Ing. Pavol Zajac, PhD. (examiner, instructor, lecturer, person responsible for course, tutor) - slovak, english
 
Last modification: 9. 5. 2019
Supervisor: prof. Ing. Pavol Zajac, PhD. and programme supervisor


Last modification made by RNDr. Marian Puškár on 05/09/2019.

Type of output: