Information sheet ECTS Syllabus
Course syllabus N431L3_4I - Laboratory of Environmental Biotechnology (FCFT - WS 2020/2021)
Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava
|Course unit code:||N431L3_4I|
|Course unit title:||Laboratory of Environmental Biotechnology|
Mode of delivery, planned learning activities and teaching methods:
|Recommended semester/trimester:||Biotechnology - master (compulsory), 3. semester|
Biotechnology - master (compulsory), 3. semester
Level of study:
|Prerequisites for registration:|
Submission of protocol from each laboratory practice
|Learning outcomes of the course unit:|
Laboratory methods include basic methods of isolation and identification of microorganisms with the potential degradation ability for selected pollutants of the environment, mainly pentachlorophenol, biphenyl, and polychlorinated biphenyls belonging to the persistent organic pollutants (POPs). Students are working with the real samples of contaminated bottom river sediments. Biodegradation experiments are performed in the defined mineral media artificially contaminated with selected pollutants followed by extraction of studied compounds using Soxhlet apparatus. To identify analyzed compounds gas chromatography, liquid chromatography, and spectrophotometer are used.
2. Isolation of cultivable bacterial strains with potential degradation ability under selection pressure.
3. Identification of obtained isolates using Gram test and polymerase chain reaction.
4. Preparation of calibration curves for studied compounds - biphenyl, pentachlorophenol and PCBs. Preparation of calibration curves for biomass evaluation of used bacterial strains.
5. Biodegradation experiments using individual strains and consortium of selected strains.
6. Sonification of cultivation media and extraction of studied compounds with n-hexane.
7. Determination of biodegradation of studied compounds using GC and HPLC and determination of biomass using colony forming units on Petri dishes.
|Recommended or required reading:|
|Language of instruction:|
slovak or english
Assessed students in total: 118
|Name of lecturer(s):|
|20. 4. 2020|
doc. Ing. Katarína Dercová, PhD. and programme supervisor
Last modification made by Samuel Hraško on 04/20/2020.